Sun, Apr 30|
Saint Kate - The Arts Hotel, Arc Theatre
MJI is excited to announce an International Jazz Day Celebration at Saint Kate – The Arts Hotel on Sunday, April 30. The event is free and open to the public.
Time & Location
Apr 30, 2023, 2:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Saint Kate - The Arts Hotel, Arc Theatre, 139 E Kilbourn Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53202, USA
About the Event
CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL JAZZ DAY WITH MJI
Sunday, April 30, from 2-7 PM.
Free and open to the public. RSVP below.
- 2 PM MJI Student Ensemble Performances (MJI Adult Big Band and MJI Youth Program Ensembles directed by Dave Bayles, Clay Schaub, Eric Jacobson, and Mark Davis: So What Ensemble, Footprints Ensemble, Maiden Voyage Ensemble, and Yardbird Ensemble)
- 4 PM Improvisation, Syncopation, and Swing Notes, a Milwaukee jazz history presentation by Ben Barbera of the Milwaukee County Historical Society.
- 5 PM "A Great Day in MKE" photo. Musicians of all ages and levels are encouraged to join us in the River Center atrium for a photo to be taken on the stairwell (indoors just outside Saint Kate).
- 5:30 PM MJI Faculty Artists Perform (Sam Belton, Marcya Daneille, Mark Davis, Jesse Montijo, Clay Schaub, Paul Silbergleit, and Juli Wood)
- 6:15-7 PM Jam Session - open to musicians and listeners of all ages
- After Sunset - Lighting of the Hoan Bridge, sponsored by MJI to replicate the International Jazz Day logo
Books & Art!
As part of the event, local talents like Ashley Valentine from Rooted MKE and artist Rosy Petri will showcase jazz-themed books and art. Joey Grihalva, author of Milwaukee Jazz, will also be present with the book he wrote after collaborating with Ben Barbera from the Milwaukee County Historical Society. Enjoy a day filled with music, art, and history as we honor jazz's cultural impact and its ability to promote peace, unity, and understanding... while further immersing ourselves in Milwaukee's vibrant jazz community.
Saint Kate - The Arts Hotel's Arc Theatre
The Arc Theatre is located on the lobby level of Saint Kate - The Arts Hotel. Bar service for attendees will be open outside the theatre during the celebration. You'll find many food and drink options along with art exhibits to explore at the hotel before and after the celebration. Underground fee-based parking is available next to the hotel.
Since 2011, International Jazz Day has been celebrated worldwide as a recognition of the incredible cultural impact of jazz music and its ability to promote peace, unity, and understanding. All over the world, jazz lovers, musicians, educators, and policymakers have united on this date for concerts, lectures, and jam sessions, showcasing jazz’s diverse and beautiful sounds. See the listing of events happening around the world! https://jazzday.com/events/
Check out MJI's listing here: https://jazzday.com/listing/milwaukee-jazz-institutes-jazz-day-celebration/
A Great Day in Harlem, August 18, 1958, by Art Kane for Esquire Magazine.
MJI Student Ensemble PerformancesArc Theatre
History of Jazz in MKE PresentationSimone Ballroom (2nd Floor)
Attend Int'l Jazz Day
Our celebration is free and open to the public. Your RSVP is appreciated so we can plan ahead.$0.00
Attend & Support MJI
We count on donors and supporters to make jazz performances and education available to the community. Your tax-deductible contribution in honor of our Jazz Circle and Scholarship Funds helps us provide these events.Pay what you want
Can't Attend & Support
Can't make it to the event but still want to support MJI's efforts? Make a tax-deductible donation to help us continue our programs. We hope to see you next time!Pay what you want